
KOTA BHARU, Aug 23 — A Malaysian visitor to Sungai Golok in southern Thailand found himself caught in a night of chaos after a string of bomb blasts sent military and fire trucks onto the streets and triggered roadblocks across the border town.
The visitor, identified only as Main, told The New Straits Times that key roads were closed by security personnel shortly after the explosions began.
The 35-year-old arrived in Golok with a friend yesterday and planned to return to Kelantan before the border checkpoint closed at 10pm.
When explosions rang out at about 9pm, he rushed towards the Golok Immigration, Customs, Quarantine and Security complex, only to be turned back by security officers.
He said strict roadblocks had been set up across the town, with authorities stopping vehicles from entering affected areas.
After hearing the first blast, Main spoke to residents who told him coordinated attacks were taking place at several locations across southern Thailand.
“I couldn’t sleep because I was afraid, and I am anxious to cross back into Kelantan at first light today,” he was quoted as saying.
He said he was also worried that movement restrictions could prevent him from returning home.
Main is currently staying at a hotel in Golok while waiting for the border crossings to reopen.
The chaos followed a series of near-simultaneous bomb blasts and arson attacks across
Thailand’s southern provinces of Pattani, Yala and Narathiwat from about 8.15pm yesterday.
Thai media reported that at least 12 locations were targeted in the coordinated wave of attacks, involving explosions, burning tyres and vehicles, as well as attacks on public facilities and business premises.
Residents in several towns in Kelantan along the border with Thailand like Pasir Mas, Rantau Panjang also reported hearing the blasts and feeling their house walls shake from the reverberations last night.
.png)
16 hours ago
10




English (US) ·